Sunday, June 24, 2012

A day of rest- they'll actuallly eat these leftovers!

Today it's leftovers!  The benefit to spending five hours creating Kung Pao Chicken and egg rolls one night is the following day off from cooking.  I have a spread of dishes sitting on the counter for all to indulge.
Rice, crispy noodles, Kung Pao Chicken, spring rolls, egg rolls and Red Bell's favorite dipping sauce made from: soy sauce, thai peppers, ginger, garlic and scallions. Hope I made enough!

You'll note in the picture two plates of egg rolls.  I typically use both spring roll wrappers and the traditional egg roll wrappers- both Thai and Red Bell preferring the spring and my hubby, Jalapeno, hoarding the egg roll wrapped variety.  The spring roll wrappers are thinner and tend to fry crispier while egg wrappers are thicker and slightly chewier.  I double the amount of spring rolls made and use the leftover egg wrappers to make those nifty crispy fried noodles that you often receive from the restaurants when you order soup.

In my modified egg roll filling, I assumed I was using Soy bean sprouts, but after having found my Asian market to be out of these familiar sprouts I opted to use the other bag available so I wouldn't have to resort to canned bean sprouts.  Come to find out, the bean sprouts I bought were tougher and had a stronger bean flavor. With some research I determined these were Soy bean sprouts, and what I normally purchase and Red Bell especially prefers are Mung bean sprouts.  Thus, the rating for the spring and egg rolls is not as high as usual and comes to 3.5/5 napkin stains!

3 comments:

  1. Would you use the Soy bean sprouts for anything else, or were they really just bad?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! I make an Asian-style fish soup that would be enhanced by Soy bean sprouts. They would add crunch and a nice nutty depth of flavor to the soup. Also, I do think a nice Asian-style salad topped with Soy bean sprouts and a hot rice wine vinegar and sesame oil vinaigrette would be spectacular. The hot oil and vinegar would wilt the sprouts just enough and the sesame oil would temper the nutty flavor so as not to overpower the additional salad elements.

      Delete
    2. I'd love to see a recipe for those!!

      Delete