Monday, June 25, 2012

Soup and salad (but not together!!)

The Asian feast was very enjoyable!  In the comments I was asked about my recipe for an Asian-style fish soup. Here are the basics, as every time I create this dish I alter it to accommodate the ingredients I have on hand:  The basis of the soup is chicken broth. The chicken broth is made from discarded pieces of chicken from various previous recipes, such as the Kung Pao chicken.  I just add water and boil.  I typically do not season the broth at this time- I pour it into plastic cups (Ha, Red Solo Cup or the ALDI special work fine!) and place these cups in the  freezer.  It's great!  The plastic cups hold approximately 2 cups of broth and are in easy reach for any need.  I use scissors to cut the cup off if I am using the entire contents. 

I use 6 cups of broth and add a variety of seasonings including but not limited to: ginger, garlic, green onions, thai peppers, soy sauce, sesame oil, black vinegar, sherry, kosher salt, and lime.  Combine ingredients and simmer, tasting the broth to make certain it has the flavor you are after.  In two heat resistant soup bowls place additional green onions, some fresh greens of your choosing; I enjoy Yu Choy, or baby Bok Choy but you can use a leafy green such as spinach.  Add  fish to the bowl (yes raw!) and cut into easy to manage pieces.  For the fish I use individually-wrapped frozen Tilapia fillets. As neither Thai Pepper or Red Bell enjoy this dish the individually-wrapped fish is perfect! I just defrost and cut into bite size pieces.  On top of the fish place a handful of rice noodles (uncooked) and a wedge of lime.  Make sure the broth is boiling and pour over the contents in the bowl.  Place a heat resistant plate on top of the bowl and let steam until the fish is cooked through.  This is such a comfort food dish and though may sound complicated, once you try it and find the flavors you enjoy most it becomes a quick late night delight, especially when the baby peppers are both out for the evening.

Well, The Napkin Stains were tired today of the Asian flavor, although Red Bell could probably just drink the soy dipping sauce daily if I made enough, so I went for simple.  Here is a terrific salad filled with fresh ingredients including Romain lettuce, red bell peppers, tomatoes, carrot shavings, cucumbers, red onion, and fresh ripe avocado. I topped the salad with cilantro and fresh milled pepper.

 My eldest Thai will have to pick out the tomatoes and red pepper- My youngest Red Bell, well, she probably will eat only the cucumbers!         
Just before eating I toss the salad with my Jalapeno's favorite dressing of Dijon mustard, honey, garlic, vinegar, and olive oil.

Taking help in the kitchen whenever offered, Red Bell made amazing grilled cheese sandwiches to accompany the salad (self-serving I'm sure, as she didn't want to eat salad alone).  Each of The Napkin Stains selected their favorite cheese which Red Bell placed on Pepperidge Farm Farmhouse Hearty White bread and grilled on low heat in a cast iron skillet- the key to golden brown crust.  A tasty satisfying meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment