Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Two types of balls...MEATBALLS!

Two types of balls.... MEATBALLS!!  Well,  I checked the menu board (my Jalapeno and I sit down once a week and plan the week's meals) and it listed meatballs.  I knew exactly the variety I was supposed to make- sweet BBQ, Red Bell's favorite.  This presents a conflict as Thai and myself are more savory folks.  Thai commented as I was adding the flaky butter crackers, "wouldn't mushrooms in a cream sauce be good?"  Of course I agreed and began mentally plotting what ingredients I had and how I could divide the meatballs before adding the BBQ sauce. 

Prepared meatballs are supposed to be the size of walnuts; however, this can vary as to your use--such as an appetizer vs dinner.

SUCCESS! 

It so happens I had a fresh package of mushrooms and cream ( I always try to have this on hand as it enhances many dishes- I know, not good for you- tough!) as well as egg noodles- We were able to satisfy both palates, the sweet and the savory.  All of The Napkin Stains were elated and gave the BBQ meatballs a 5/5 napkin stains and the mushroom cream sauce a 4.5/5 stains (Jalapeno wanted a more beefy flavor which could have been obtained by adding beef broth which I did not have on hand). 

Completed meal with plenty of egg noodles for leftover lunch tomorrow!

The menu board is a great way to help plan grocery shopping and help when coming home from a busy day and are unsure of what to make.  My hubby and I started doing this when I was teaching and I would be exhausted and out of creative ideas at the end of the day.  We discuss the week's schedule including days we know will be difficult for elaborate meals and write a plan accordingly.  This board was the only way I knew what to make for dinner today, as I was very busy and tired.  Thankfully, I had checked the board earlier in the week and placed hamburger in the fridge to defrost.  We were good to go! Now I can check on tomorrow: Steak, reputed to be easy (just throw on the grill), but in actuality, challenging for the novice.

No comments:

Post a Comment